1. Cherry Almond Oatmeal
- 160 g rolled oats
- 830 ml sweetened vanilla almond milk
- 0.8 g salt
- 60 g dried tart cherries
- Stir together oats, almond milk, and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until oats are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in cherries.
- Spoon into bowls and serve while hot.
2. Quinoa Pudding
"Quinoa is a high-protein grain native to South America. You can find it in most health food stores and some grocery stores. This is a simple, delicious vegan recipe full of plump raisins, and sweetened with apple juice. Serve with berries, sliced bananas and maple syrup."
- 170 g quinoa
- 475 ml water
- 475 ml apple juice
- 145 g raisins
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 2 g ground cinnamon, or to taste
- salt to taste
- 10 ml vanilla extract
- Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. Allow to drain, then place quinoa in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pan with lid, lower heat, and allow to simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 15 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla extract. Serve warm
3. Strawberry Soy Breakfast Smoothy
- 250ml (1 cup) soy milk
- 90g (2/3rd cup) instant oats
- 1 banana, broken into chunks
- 14 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caster sugar
1. In a blender, combine soy milk, oats, banana and strawberries. Add vanilla and sugar if desired. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
4. Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons bran
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple butter, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.
5. Energy Bars
"These bars are great before a workout or when you need a quick snack to stave off hunger for a few hours. They are easy to make and do not need refrigeration."
- 2 eggs
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Mix the eggs, banana, oats, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, milk powder, dates, raisins, walnuts, apricots, wheat germ, maple syrup, and whole-wheat pastry flour together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined; spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes; set aside to cool. Cut into 9 bars and wrap with plastic to store.
6. Basic Sushi Rolls
- 155g (1 cup) uncooked short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 sheets nori seaweed sheets
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed cut into small strips
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 1 avocado - peeled, stone removed and cut into small strips
- 250g smoked salmon slices, flaked crab meat or tuna
Prep: 45 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 375ml (1,1/2 cups) water to a boil. Add rice, and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
2. In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Blend the mixture into the rice.
3. Preheat oven to 150 C. On a medium baking tray, heat nori in the preheated oven 1 to 2 minutes, until warm.
4. Centre one sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Wet your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the sheet of nori, and press into a thin layer. Arrange 1/4 of the cucumber, ginger, avocado and seafood of your choice in a line down the centre of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5. Cut each roll into 4 to 6 slices using a wet, sharp knife. Serve immediately.
Note: You can easily find pickled ginger, nori seaweed sheets and wasabi in your local Asian supermarket.
Tip: Make vegetarian sushi rolls by omitting the fish and adding extra vegetables if desired.
7. Baba Ghanoush
- 1 eggplant
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 40 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Place the eggplant on baking tray and pierce holes in the skin with a fork. Roast it for 30 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft.
3. Remove the eggplant from oven, and place into a large bowl of cold water. Remove from water, and peel skin off.
4. Place the eggplant, lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds and garlic in a blender, and purée. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer mixture to a medium size mixing bowl, and slowly mix in olive oil. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
8. Vietnamese Beef Pho
In this classic soup, paper-thin slices of raw beef are cooked with rice noodles in individual serving bowls into which hot spiced beef stock has been added. For a more authentic tasting pho, use pho stock cubes bought from an Asian grocer.
- 3.5L beef stock
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 500g beef sirloin, cut into thin slices
- 250g beansprouts
- 1 bunch basil, leaves only
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves only
- 3 fresh green chillies, sliced into rings
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 500g dried rice noodles
hoisin sauce, chilli sauce and fish sauce to serve
1. In a large stockpot, combine the stock, onion, ginger, lemongrass, cinnamon and peppercorns. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering for 1 hour. Strain stock and keep hot.
2. Arrange beansprouts, basil, mint and coriander leaves on a platter with chillies and lime.
3. Put the noodles into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak noodles for 15 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
4. Divide noodles among 6 large soup bowls and place raw beef slices on top. Ladle hot stock over noodles and beef and pass the platter of garnishes and sauces
9. Basil Chicken Vermicelli
- 250g vermicelli pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2,400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts fillets - cooked and cut into cubes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, rinsed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry the onions and garlic until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken, basil, salt and optiional chilli. Reduce heat to medium, cover frying pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Toss sauce with pasta to coat and heat through. Serve with Parmesan.
10. Baked Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
- 250g chopped frozen spinach
- 225g ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 60g grated Cheddar cheese, reserving a handful
- pinch nutmeg
- handful chopped fresh basil, parsley, or herbs of your choice
- 100g mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red or green capsicum, finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 (200g) packet dried cannelloni
- 600g passata or tomato puree or pasta sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 80 ml Dijon mustard
- 60 ml honey
- 30 ml mayonnaise
- 5 ml steak sauce
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Preheat the grill for medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and steak sauce. Set aside a small amount of the honey mustard sauce for basting, and dip the chicken into the remaining sauce to coat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken over indirect heat for 18 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until juices run clear. Baste occasionally with the reserved sauce during the last 10 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning!
12. Low Fat Whole wheat Carrot Cake!
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 250g apple purée or applesauce
- 125ml low fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 125g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 125g plain flour
- 220g tinned pineapple in juice
- 250g grated carrot
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 90g sultanas
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 40 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 23cm cake pan.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in sugar, then apple purée, milk and vanilla. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and flours.
3. In a food processor or blender, roughly process the pineapple with all of its juice.
4. Stir into the mixture, one ingredient at a time, the pineapple, carrots, walnuts and sultanas. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked when a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Recipes taken from allrecipes.com